Tuesday 24 August 2010

Icons of the Web

 
Picture
A nerdy day, reading other people's quilting blogs (well, looking at the pictures) and tidying up my presence on this here interweb.

Found this at http://nmap.org/favicon/ The image above is just a screen grab -
It's an interactive image showing the proportional web presence of different icons - you need to experience it in all its zoomable, searchable magnificence at their website.    They describe it much better too:

"The area of each icon is proportional to the sum of the reach of all sites using that icon. When both a bare domain name and its "www." counterpart used the same icon, only one of them was counted. The smallest icons those corresponding to sites with approximately 0.0001% reach--are scaled to 16x16 pixels.
The largest icon (Google) is 11,936 x 11,936 pixels, and the whole diagram is 37,440 x 37,440."
yeah, well, maybe I'm obsessed, but it looks like another patchwork quilt to me ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make me happy - unless they're rude, in which case I think you may need to find another outlet other than my blurry blog ...